Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Capsize, Rescue, Last Sail

The Setup
    My 23rd time sailing, since I bought the boat 106 days ago. It turned out to be my last sail of the season. I was wearing my wetsuit for the first time, though it wasn't too cold. The wind was strong, coming directly off the beach, North North East. I went out solo, and it was tough. I went out on a roaring run. Even on the way out I noticed some of the lines weren't in their best positions, but I thought I'd straighten up once things calmed down. Once out, I was constantly pinched to keep the speed down. Gybing since tacking at low speed into the wind was not possible. The boat walked slowly up and down the bay in front of the marina in the blast of wind. Realizing I might not be able to get back against the wind at this speed, I turned back after 20 minutes.

The Event
    I got back into the Marina, but needed to tack a few times to get to the beach. The main sheet got twisted in the blocks and wouldn't release when I came around. In slow motion, the boat heeled over on it rear quarter and I tried to climb up the other side to keep it level as I'd done before, but it wasn't happening this time. I slide down the tramp into the water as we went over.
    The tramp caught the wind and immediately we started moving away from the beach and out towards the bay. I climbed on the lower hull and tried to rotate the boat by standing on the front of the hull to bring the boat to a 45º angle to the wind (to aid in trying to right it). That did not work. I pulled on the righting line with no effect, way too light.  I had my righting bag and tackle but there wasn't time to get it out. We were moving really fast and it looked like I'd be blown out into the bay and possibly into the ocean, so it became most important to try to stay within the confines of the Marina. I was able to steer somewhat by shifting my weight on the hull. Within a minute, I was closing in on the tip of barrier dock. I was able to just stay inside, and just before hitting the dock with the mast tip I leaned back and got the mast and sail on top of the dock, instead of the mast getting jammed under the dock where the sails would have been shredded by barnacles. I climbed over onto the dock, and held the boat on its side against the dock.

The Rescue
    I just waited, assuming someone had seen me and assuming trying to fix the situation myself wasn't wise. After 20 minutes a couple sailor came over and helped me tie the boat to the dock lying on its side. I felt like I couldn't right it there because there were other boats parked directly down wind and I thought SeaWof would ram them immediately. I folded up the sails and walked them back to parking lot. I found the park service rescue/divers boat in the marina. The diver refused to help me saying the commercial rescue operators would get him in trouble if he towed me the 200 yards to the beach. It was so close, but directly upwind in the fresh breeze; and there were plenty of boats to run into on the way there. I saw him again puttering around in his boat; I begged and he relented. I walked the mast up and easily righted the boat. He threw me a line and dragged me over to the beach.
    The sails were covered with seagull droppings from laying on the barrier dock where they roost. I took them home and washed them.
    I learned to keep all the lines clear and untangled from the beginning, don't assume there will be time later to straighten up.

No comments:

Post a Comment